So my kids were split on this one, half of them liked the back splash and half thought it looked out of place. So I refinished it and decided to give the new owner the choice if they wanted it on or not. This dresser is one of the heaviest pieces of furniture that I've worked on. It looks really sound and like there's not much work to do here, but I discovered that all the drawer guides were broken.
As you can see one knob is missing and the latch to one of the handles is gone. I took them to an antique restoration guy and he not only had close matches but he also fixed the handle for me on the spot. He has the greatest workshop, I hope some time to feature his place.
I was really bad about taking pictures during the prep work. I recruited my hubby and he made new drawer guides for four of the five drawers. I had tried to use the plastic drawer guides that you staple on the back of the drawer, but none fit quite right, and besides,that would be too easy,
I used S.W. antique white and made my homemade chalk paint with it for the base. For the drawers I used S.W. intellectual Grey. I love Sherwin Williams sample's. They were having a sale last week and so for $4.50 I got a quart of paint in satin. You can't beat that with a stick!! So I stocked up on a bunch of great colors that I've been wanting to try.
I lightly sanded it then finished it off with Min Wax rub on poly. I always use a poly finish when I paint furniture with latex. It seals it so much better and also prevents the drawers from sticking to the base if you let it cure properly.
The back splash didn't look like it came with the piece originally but when looking more closely I think it really did. It will be fun to see which way the customer goes on it.
I love how it turned out, I could easily put this in my home and have it fit right in.
Thanks so much for stopping by, I love your comments
and new followers as well.