PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

I Got Nothing

My daughter found this dresser for me at a yard sale.  Isn't it nice to have family and friends who help you out when they see furniture at yard sales or thrift store's?  I consider this a retro style and since I haven't refiinished this style before I'm kind of at a loss for what to do with it.  As you can see it's pretty banged up so I got out the nail gun, wood glue, wood filler and went to work, (that make's a lot of hard work sound so simple doesn't it?). 


On one side the bottom was peeling pretty bad.  I took a razor knife and straight edge and scored all the way across the dresser so I would have a nice clean edge when I lifted the laminate.

Now I had a single edge to wood fill instead of all those jagged one's.


I applied a good amount of wood filler and then glued the bottom boards together.   

I decided to paint it a creamy yellow color and spray paint the original handles silver.  The cream color looked too plain by it's self so I added some paris gray to it.

I love the handles on this piece, so very retro!


The picture doesn't do it justice, or maybe it does.  I can't qute get used to the boxiness of this style.  So this is my second paint job, tomorrow I will be trying a different one to see if I like it better.  Any idea's for me, they are more then welcome.


Okay, I just didn't like it!!!  I had to redo it again, I know, I know, what can I say?
I painted it all the same color and the top is ASCP graphite.  I then used Rustoleum oil rubbed bronze to redo the handle's.  I really didn't like them spray painted silver even though that was their original color.  I also put a little bit bigger handle's on the top drawer.  I like it better, infact it's kinda a cute....finally.




 
Thanks so much for stopping by.

2 comments:

  1. Love what you did!!! I have a top that is bubbled on my nightstand (previous owner). I have done absolutely nothing to the furniture pieces (dresser and 2 nightstands) because the front and sides still are fabulous. What do you recommend?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I have worked on pieces that have had the same problem. Some of them I was able to sand down below the damage and save the pretty top. I have actually used my scrapper and removed the damage (which is the paint or peeling laminate) and then went a head and sanded. Some times the damage is too deep from moisture and you just have clean it up the best you can by painting it instead of staining. Hope this helps. Sandi

      Delete